Pupil Development Grant statement 2019-20
The purpose of the Pupil Development Grant is to improve the educational attainment of learners from low income families and who are entitled to free school meals (eFSM). Schools are expected to maximise the use of this funding by introducing sustainable strategies which will quickly lead to improved outcomes for learners entitled to free school meals.
As a school, we want to learn from the best practice in Wales and beyond by:
- Planning interventions that focus on improving the attainment of learners from deprived backgrounds, regularly monitoring pupils’ progress and evaluating the impact of the intervention.
- Integrating plans for the effective use of the PDG into the School Development Plan, basing our practice on sound evidence and including them as part of a whole school strategy.
- Balancing whole school strategies with targeted interventions to ensure that all learners entitled to free school meals benefit as individuals, whilst the whole school also develops ability to support every learner to achieve their full potential.
Ysgol Emrys ap Iwan has received £261050 for the financial year 2019-20 as part of the Development Grant in Wales. The school has a comprehensive plan, agreed and monitored by GwE and Conwy County Borough Council, to promote high expectations attainment and progress and to remove barriers to learning for learners entitled to this funding.
Ysgol Emrys ap Iwan will use this money to undertake the following activities during 2018-19:
- Appointment of staff member to lead the Engage @ Emrys Programme, Community and Families Activities.
- Parental Engagement Opportunities.
- Support Nurture Programmes.
- To support learners with essentials (wellbeing and learning) through a Development Fund.
- To develop high impact additional learning opportunities before school, at lunch and after school through clubs and workshops.
- Provide additional after school and holiday learning sessions to support the progress of vulnerable learners.
- Continued funding for the existing behavioural and emotional support team.
- Continued funding for the alternative curriculum package.
- Additional time allocation for key staff to track, monitor and support vulnerable learners and ensure they are maximising their potential.
- Improve the quality of teaching and learning through continued Professional Development Opportunities.
- Appointment of an additional member of the data management team to track the progress of vulnerable learners to all staff in the school.
- Additional mentoring through one to one support of vulnerable learners.
- 1:1 support for vulnerable learners in Literacy and Numeracy.
- Rewards package to incentivise all learners in particular targeted vulnerable learners.
- MAT support for learners.
The impact and evaluation of these activities is undertaken on a regular basis and reported to the Local Authority and regional consortia on a termly basis.
PDG Access Fund
The Welsh Government have recently announced the PDG Access Fund. Through this funding learners eligible for free school meals will be able to access a grant of £125 for the purchase of the following:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
The funding is available to learners who are eligible for free school meals or are looked after children entering:
- Reception class of a maintained primary school in September 2018;
- Year 7 of a maintained secondary school in September 2018;
- Pupils in special school, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or aged 11 in September 2018.
The grant in Conwy for eligible learners will be administrated by the Conwy Benefits Section and any enquiries should be forwarded to this section.
Their address is:
Conwy County Borough Council
Revenue and Benefits Assessment Services
The Welsh Government have also published information on the following link:
Further discussion will take place regarding the LAC pupils and the process by which any payments will be made.